Call for Proposals: Financing Programme for JCM Model Projects in FY2020
The Global Environment Centre Foundation (GEC) as an implementing organization for the Financing Programme for Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM) Model Projects in FY2020, is soliciting the project proposals for the financing programme.
Japan establishes and implements the Joint Crediting Mechanism (hereinafter referred to as “JCM”) in order both to appropriately evaluate contributions from Japan to GHG emission reductions or removals in a quantitative manner achieved through the diffusion of low carbon or decarbonizing technologies, products, systems, services, and infrastructure as well as implementation of mitigation actions in developing countries.
Starting from Mongolia in January 2013, Japan has established the JCM with 17 partner countries (Mongolia, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Kenya, Maldives, Viet Nam, Lao PDR, Indonesia, Costa Rica, Palau, Cambodia, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Chile, Myanmar, Thailand and Philippine) at this moment.
In order to support the implementation of candidate JCM projects, Ministry of the Environment, Japan (hereinafter referred to as “MOEJ”) has launched the “JCM Model Projects (hereinafter referred to as “model project”),” which includes collaboration with projects supported by the Japan International Cooperation Agency and other governmental-affiliated financial institution.
The purpose of this model project is to financially support the implementation of projects which reduce GHG emissions by utilizing leading low carbon or decarbonizing technologies in developing countries, and in return seeks to acquire JCM credits for achievement of Japan’s GHG emission reduction target. Moreover, based on the Overseas Development Strategy (Environment) compiled by Cabinet Office in June 2018, the JCM model projects aim to contribute to global GHG emission reduction, through the diffusion of leading low carbon or decarbonizing technologies.
In the fiscal year 2020, a new scheme named “JCM Eco Lease Scheme” will be introduced by MOEJ for further promotion of the model projects. This new scheme has an advantage in reducing the reporting burden of representative participants with shorter monitoring period and simple proposal document.
(2) Who is eligible to submit a propsal?
A Japanese entity as a representative participant of an international consortium which is an association (no legal personality) that consists of a Japanese entity and a foreign entity(ies), etc., with the objective of effectively implementing a project.
(3) Implementation Period of Model Projects
The implementation period of the model projects (i.e. the period for installation of facilities and completing all the payment) shall be from the date indicated on the Notice of Contract of Finance until 31 January 2023. Purchase order prior to or after this period is not covered by this model project.
(4) Deadline for Submission of Proposals
At noon of Friday, 30th October 2020 (Japan Standard Time)
(GEC accepts proposals 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-17:00 (except Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays)
*Time converter tools are available on the Internet:
From 2020, Application is open from 6th April through 30th October. (It may close before the deadline due to the availability of remaining budget.)
For questions and inquiries regarding JCM Model Project, please fill out this contact form.
(6) Gender Policies in the JCM Model Project
Please refer to “Guideline on Gender Equality for the JCM Model Project”.
- Recent Development of the Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM) [PDF]
- Guidelines for Submitting Proposals (Tentative translation) [PDF]
- Overview of JCM Eco Lease scheme [PDF] (Updated 8 Aug.)
- Guideline on Gender Equality for the JCM Model Project[PDF]
- Agreement on International Consortium (Example for the JCM Model Project） [WORD]
- Agreement on International Consortium (Example for the Eco Lease Project） [WORD]
- Project Idea Note for the JCM Model Project (Form No.3b) [WORD]
- Agreement on the Allocation of JCM Credits (Form No.5 for the JCM Model Project) [WORD]
- Agreement on the Allocation of JCM Credits (Form No.5 for the Eco Lease Project) [WORD]
1. About Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM)
- Carbon Markets Express : Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM)
- Global Environment Centre Foundation: Overview of JCM
2. Speech by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at COP21
“…many of the advanced low-carbon technologies do not generally promise investment-return to developing countries. Japan will, while lowering burdens of those countries, promote diffusion of advanced low carbon technologies particularly through implementation of the Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM).”
For the full text of his speech, please click here.
Attn: Hiroshi TAKAHASHI & Masami ISHIHARA
Financing Programme Group, Tokyo Office
Global Environment Centre Foundation (GEC)
4th Floor Hongo Ozeki Bldg., 3-19-4 Hongo Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan