Webinar on the Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM) Implementation for Tunisia – Contribution to GHG Emission Reductions in Tunisia through the JCM –
Ministry of the Environment of Japan (MOEJ) and Global Environment Centre Foundation (GEC) in collaboration with Ministry of Environment of Tunisia will jointly organize “Webinar on the Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM) Implementation for Tunisia – Contribution to GHG Emission Reductions in Tunisia through the JCM -” on Wednesday, November 1st, 2023.
- The Government of Japan and the Government of Tunisia signed the Memorandum of Cooperation on the JCM on 26th August 2022.
- In order to pursue the Paris Agreement’s 2°C target and 1.5°C effort target, and to address climate change, the Government of Japan and the Government of Tunisia (hereinafter referred to individually as the “government” and collectively as “both governments”) establish and implement the Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM).
- The JCM*1 aims to facilitate diffusion of, among others, leading decarbonizing technologies, products, systems, services and infrastructure as well as implementation of mitigation actions, thereby contributing to GHG emissions reductions or removals and sustainable development in Tunisia, and the achievement of nationally determined contributions of Japan and Tunisia.
This Webinar aims to :
- Understand Tunisia’s mitigation policy as well as the Article 6, its relevance to Tunisia’s climate objectives and the JCM.
- Grasp the fundamentals of the JCM and how it operates.
- Share guidelines and procedures as well as case examples of the Financing Programme for JCM Model Projects*2.
This webinar is designed for key stakeholders in Tunisia’s climate action efforts, including:
- Representatives from the Tunisian government responsible for climate policy and international cooperation.
- Private sector representatives interested in engaging in climate projects, etc.
After the webinar, GEC will have individual consultations with companies considering applying for JCM Financing Programme. Also, individual meetings will be arranged between participants of the webinar. Reservation for individual meetings is available through a match-making online platform “JCM Global Match.”
Overview of Webinar
- Date: Wednesday, November 1st, 2023, 9:30 am-12:00 pm Tunisia Time (UTC+1) / 17:30-20:00 Japan Time (UTC+9)
- Venue: Please watch the webinar via Zoom. Prior registration is required.
- Organizers: Ministry of the Environment of Japan, Ministry of Environment of Tunisia, Global Environment Centre Foundation (GEC)
- Language: French and English (Simultaneous Interpretation)
- Moderator: Ms. Kaoru YAMAGUCHI, Manager, Financing Programme Group, Tokyo Office, Global Environment Centre Foundation (GEC)
|Session 1. Opening Remarks:|
– Mr. Mohamed ZMERLI, National Focal Point of the United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change, UNFCCC, Ministry of Environment, the Republic of Tunisia
– Mr. Hiroatsu SATAKE, Counsellor, Embassy of Japan in Tunisia.
|Session 2. Information Sharing on the JCM:|
Recent Developments of the Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM)
Tunisia’s Policy for Decarbonization, National Strategy for the Implementation of Article 6 of the Paris Agreement and Expectations for the JCM
Financing Programme for JCM Model Projects and JCM Global Match
JCM Support Programme by UNIDO
Q&A for Session 2
|Session 3. Case Examples of the JCM Implementation:|
Project outline for rooftop solar power systems in Kenya (Selected in 2022）
Introduction of Gas Co-generation System and Absorption Chiller to Fiber Factory in Thailand (Selected in 2018)
Q&A for Session 3
|Session 4. Closing Address:|
– Mr. Yuji KIMURA, Executive Director, Head of Tokyo Office, Global Environment Centre Foundation (GEC)
|Consultation by GEC (online) & Business Matching via “JCM Global Match”|
■Consultation: GEC will have individual online consultations with companies considering applying for JCM Financing Programme. The application is available through the registration form of the webinar. Online consultations will be held at a later date after the webinar.
■Business Matching: Through a business matching website, “JCM Global Match”, individual meetings can be arranged online between companies that are interested in the JCM Financing Programme. After signing up for the “JCM Global Match“, you can make reservations for individual meetings. GEC will send a confirmation once your meeting is set. “Matching” between companies is required prior to the reservation. For the detailed information, please see here.
◆Registration for Webinar (Free of charge)
◆Registration for Business matching / JCM Global Match (Free of charge)
The webinar and the business matching need to be registered separately.
*1 For further information about the JCM, please refer to the official website of the JCM.
*2 In order to support the implementation of candidate JCM projects, Ministry of the Environment, Japan has launched
the “JCM Model Projects”. The purpose of this model project is to financially support the implementation of projects
which reduce GHG emissions by utilizing leading decarbonizing technologies in developing countries, and in return
seeks to acquire JCM credits for achievement of Japan’s and Tunisia’s GHG emission reduction target.
Global Environment Centre Foundation (GEC)
Attn: Tanabe (Mr.), A. Takahashi (Mr.)