2nd Call for Proposals: Financing Programme for JCM Model Projects in FY2017
The Global Environment Centre Foundation (GEC) as a secretariat for the Financing Programme for Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM) Model Projects in FY2017, is soliciting the project proposals for the financing programme.
Japan establishes and implements the Joint Crediting Mechanism (hereinafter referred to as “JCM”) in order both to appropriately evaluate contributions from Japan to GHG emission reductions or removals in a quantitative manner achieved through the diffusion of low carbon technologies, products, systems, services, and infrastructure as well as implementation of mitigation actions in developing countries.
Starting from Mongolia in January 2013, Japan has established the JCM with 17 partner countries (Mongolia, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Kenya, Maldives, Viet Nam, Lao PDR, Indonesia, Costa Rica, Palau, Cambodia, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Chile, Myanmar, Thailand and Philippine) at this moment.
In order to support the implementation of candidate JCM projects, Ministry of the Environment, Japan (hereinafter referred to as “MOEJ”) has launched the “JCM Model Projects (hereinafter referred to as “model project”),” which includes collaboration with projects supported by the Japan International Cooperation Agency and other governmental-affiliated financial institution.
The purpose of this model project is to financially support the implementation of projects which reduce GHG emissions by utilizing leading low carbon technologies in developing countries, and in return seeks to acquire JCM credits for achievement of Japan’s GHG emission reduction target.
(2) Who is eligible to submit a propsal?
A Japanese entity as a representative participant of an international consortium which is an association (no legal personality) that consists of a Japanese entity and a foreign entity(ies), etc., with the objective of effectively implementing a project.
(3) Implementation Period of Model Projects
The implementation period of the model projects (i.e. the period for installation of facilities and completing all the payment) shall be from the date indicated on the Notice of Contract of Finance until 31 January 2020. Contract or purchase order prior to or after this period is not covered by this model project.
(4) Deadline for Submission of Proposals
Friday, 1 December 2017.
- GEC accepts proposals 10:00 – 12:00 and 13:00 – 17:00 (except Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays)
- Please note that the application may close before the deadline because of the availability of financial support.
(5) Information Session / Q&A
- There will be no information session for the 2nd call.
- Questions can be submitted to the organization contacts at jcm-sbsd(at)gec.jp with a subject line of “Inquiry: 2nd Call for Proposals.”
- Recent Development of the Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM)[PDF]
- Guidelines for Submitting Proposals (Tentative translation) [PDF]
- Agreement on International Consortium (Example) [WORD]
- Project Idea Note for the JCM Model Project (Form No.3b) [WORD]
- Agreement on the Allocation of JCM Credits (Form No.5) [WORD]
1. About Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM)
- New Mechanisms Information Platform : Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM)
- Global Environment Centre Foundation: Overview of JCM
2. Speech by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at COP21
“…many of the advanced low-carbon technologies do not generally promise investment-return to developing countries. Japan will, while lowering burdens of those countries, promote diffusion of advanced low carbon technologies particularly through implementation of the Joint Crediting Mechanism (JCM).”
For the full text of his speech, please click here.
Attn: Hiroyuki Saito, Satoru Tango
Financing Programme Group, Tokyo Office
Global Environment Centre Foundation (GEC)
4th Floor Hongo Ozeki Bldg., 3-19-4 Hongo Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan