Host Country: Lao PDRREDD+ Demonstration Study (REDD+)
REDD+ in Luang Prabang Province
Implementing Entity: Mitsubishi UFJ Research and Consulting,
Japan Forest Technology Association and Marubeni Cooperation
Outline of GHG Mitigation ActivityThis study aims to monitor the effectiveness of REDD+ activities and quantify the amount of GHG emissions reductions by REDD+ activities in a part of Phonxay District, Luang Prabang Province (30,000ha), a location with severe deforestation and forest degradation mainly due to shifting cultivation.
REDD+ activities will be implemented based on JICA's activities (e.g. introduction of alternative livelihoods) and will be promoted by participatory methods with local people.
Expected GHG Emission Reductions
Approximately 120,000 tCO2/year
- Reference CO2 emissions: 285,000 t-CO2/year
⇒ GHG emission will be continued according to historical trend.
- Project CO2 emissions: 165,000 t-CO2/year
⇒ For improving forest management system and introducing alternative livelihoods, deforestation and forest degradation will be reduced.
Site of REDD+ Study
- Study Report (PDF: 439KB)
- JCM Proposed Methodology (Preliminary Draft) (PDF: 138KB)
- JCM Proposed Methodology Calculation Sheet (Preliminary Draft) (Excel: 26KB)